Art Journal - Stop and smell the flowers


For this art journal entry I wanted to remind myself that it's important to take time and just relax. Have a coffee, watch a movie or go for a walk. What ever you do, remember to take a step back and enjoy the moment. We get so caught up in everyday routine that we forget there's a whole world out there. Sometimes I know I want to create an art journal entry, or a greeting card or something crafty but, nothing brings me joy, sparks inspiration or motivates me to do it. This is when I stop and take a step back. Go do something else and enjoy taking that time away. OK rant over let's get into it.

First I used a combination of acrylic & water, mixed in a spritz bottle, to put my base green colour onto my page.
Then couldn't find the inspiration to do anything with it. It's OK if this happens. Just walk away and revisit it later!

I found I now had a green page. I hadn't broken my page just made it even harder to work with. So I used a wood-grain stamp and Jet Black Archival Ink to try breaking my page again. Next I wanted more texture so I used Reeves Modeling Paste and a stencil. This helped add more texture and contrast onto the page. Again I didn't know what I was trying to express with this art journal so off to have a coffee I went.

 While having this break I knew I wanted to have some sort of woodland creature featured on my page so I did a quick sketch of a super cute little fox.  I used alcohol markers to colour him in. Made some colouring mistakes as I wasn't concentrating on the task at hand. I went in with Reeves Gesso to cover up my mistakes and to add texture to the white parts of my fox.

The way I had drawn him made me think he was happy about something and seemed to be smelling something perhaps. It was at this point that I realized I wanted this art journal entry to be about taking time out; so I decided 'Stop & smell the flowers' was my theme for this art journal page. Before I adhered the fox into the page I stamped out flowers all over the page in blue, pink and purple. I didn't want to use cut-out flowers as I wanted to keep the main focus on the fox and the words.


Then I wrote out my phrase on top of some wood-grain cardstock. Trimmed it up and stuck it on top of craft foam and then stuck this onto the page. I used a grey alcohol marker to add a slight drop-shadow under my fox and stuck him onto craft foam and onto the page as well.


To finish I used Wink of Stella on the smaller flowers. Which turned out so subtle you can't really it see in the pictures sorry. Lastly I used Ranger Distress Ink in Evergreen Bough around the edges of my page to frame it.

Well that's it for me I'm off to go have a coffee and relax for a while. Hope you also take some time today to relax and enjoy the day. Thanks for stopping by!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twist Pop-up

Green Birthday Card