Pop & Lift Card




 Hi all. after a few days of feeling ill I'm feeling much better today. I spent yesterday and today trialing and making a card that has two functions. It is a pop-up that pops up and lifts as you open the card. Super easy to make once you've worked out the mechanics and the measurements!!

OK lets get into it!! My card is going to be a 14cm by 14cm square card.

First your going to want to measure and draw out the mechanism from a fairly thick card. (I used 300gsm red cardstock for mine.) I first had to work out the dimensions of this mechanism and you'll see from a few pics that it is white. This was prototype C!!!



Here is my base template, which I have kept for easy tracing the next time I want to make a card like this.

Sorry if you can't read my handwriting. The very top length says 4.7cm. You can see where I drew in the wrong angle and had to cross it out!! This triangular angle is 45 degrees and the apex will be slightly off the edge. This side of your 'L' can be adjusted depending on the size of your card and the size of the window on your card.





Just play around with it before you permanently stick it down. The picture on the left (bottom picture if you're on a mobile device) is the arm at 4.7cm and the picture on the right is at 3.5cm. (For the purpose of todays card the length is 4.7cm.)




The total length for the side which will become a box is 10.8 cm (I cut it a bit short at the tab end it should have been a total off 11cm.)

I would recommend using very light pencil marks to mark out your fold lines. You can erase these later. Once you've cut this 'L' out your going to fold along those lines all in mountain folds. (see picture of it with a blue background) Now you can erase those lines. Next your going to put a good strong adhesive to three sections of your 'L'. I pulled prototype C apart and labeled where your first lot of adhesive will go. (I've sure double sided tape so you can see it better later on. I recommend using something stronger.) For the main construction of your mechanism I recommend watching my short video as it just makes more sense to see how to do this. Before you do this tho, get that window cut from the front of your card.

DISCLAIMER: I struggle with the tape a bit so sorry!



I have used white and red cardstock for the main body of my card. I stuck two red panels on the inside and have one that I will later stick to the front. I ran the front red panel and the front side of my card through my Spellbinders Platinum 6 and used a Christmas bauble die to make a window in both pieces.

Next I embossed the inside of my card. (To do this just reverse the embossing folder so the raised side will be pushing through into the inside of the card rather than the usual outside.)

Next I put double sided tape and used tape runner on the back of my front red panel. Then I stuck clear cellophane onto this. This will now be my front window. Then I lined this up on the front of my card and stuck it down. (That's it for the outside of the card. Just keep it simple!)

Now I used the die cut leftover from the red card and die cut the inside pattern from white cardstock. I ran my white die cut through my Xyron machine and stuck this on top of the red die cut. (This is now my main decoration and the feature of the card.)

Right, back to the mechanism! OK now that you have your mechanism constructed and the item or die cut that will be the feature it's time to get it constructed!!  Check that your happy with where the mechanism box falls and where it stops when it lifts. If your happy then go ahead and stick the mechanism to your card (Keep the edge of that triangle up against the fold of the card!)



With the box flat against the window, and the glued side facing you, carefully close the back of the card over and press down. When you open the card the mechanism should now be stuck to the other side.
(Refer back to video.)

Use your strong glue on the side of the box that faces up/out. (Picture on left.)







Carefully line up your die cut inside the window. (Mine was the exact size so easy to do for me.) Then simply close up you card and press down for a few seconds to get that box stuck to the back of your cut out.



I then quickly stamped out a sentiment on white card and stuck this under my pop up. DONE!




Absolutely loved making this card and I will be making another once soon! Next time I'll be using a strong quick setting glue and not tape.

I hope you could follow this post and I do hope you give this a try! Thanks for reading and don't forget to subscribe/follow.

  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twist Pop-up

Green Birthday Card

Art Journal - Stop and smell the flowers