Twist Pop-up



For today's card I wanted to try something I haven't done before. I've seen some really neat videos on twisting pop-up cards and I thought I'd give it a go. Now if you haven't tried these yet I will say be patient and try it with scraps first. I think I'll be looking into getting template dies for this style of card.

First I cut all my basic elements for this card. I used 250gsm cardstock for every aspect. I cut the main body of the card and an identical card from light blue card as well. These will become the outside and inside of my finished card. Next I cut a long strip of card 5cm shorter than the total length of the card it's self. This strip is the twisting mechanism I will use for the card.

Next I worked on the mechanism by first scoring three lines. One through the center of the strip (the longest length) and two at 45degree angles through the center point of the strip.
Next I folded along all lines and then began constructing the mechanism. I started by folding my paper in half and then twisting the right side down along the angled score. I then repeated this for the left side. (Note: you should end-up with the same shape on both sides, so make sue you carefully fold the long piece inside the triangular score lines.)Have a look at the pictures if your unsure of what I mean. Also Google how to make this and watch a few videos.

I also cut a long strip from light blue cardstock for the inside of my card. I folded this into two valleys and a mountain (The mountain is the center fold.) This is the strip that I will later decorate for the inside of the card.

Next I used my Spellbinders Platinum 6 to cut out some snowflakes from sparkly foam and also a snowflake edge for the front of my card from a piece of light blue paper.






Next I decorated my inside blue strip. To do this I printed photos out on my Polaroid Snap Touch and timed the sides down slightly. (I was going to use all three but decided not to.) I stamped out my sentiment onto the blue strip and added in the pictures and white sparkle foam snowflakes. (The blue clashed with the lighter blue of the card so I left them out.)Then I mounted this whole strip onto a slightly wider piece of white card to add more interest.

Next I took that blue card and added cut marks at 45degrees in the center of the fold (This will be where my mechanism gets inserted later.) I sent each side, separately, through my Spellbinders machine and embossed the whole card with snowflakes.



OK now for the construction of all my separate elements. First I started by placing double sided tape to both sides of the mechanism's triangles. Then I used the fold of the card to only stick one side down. By folding the card the mechanism fits and works better than if you just try and line it up flat. I then peeled the second sides tape off and folded the other half of the card over this. Open and close this to make sure it works. It should look like picture number 4.



Then I carefully inserted the arms through my blue embossed card and stuck this to the white card using double sided tape.

You will see that I inserted both arms at the same time in the picture and how it should look when fully inserted and stuck down.


Next I stuck om decorated strip onto the arms of the mechanism. To do this you will only be adhering a small part of opposite sides of the folded arms. At this point I almost closed the card and then carefully inserted my folded decorated strip in. I did it this way so I knew it wouldn't be sticking out the side of my card when closed. I checked that this work the way I wanted it to and then moved onto the front of my card.

I added a plain white foam snowflake strip and stuck the blue die cut cardstock onto the front of my card. Stamped a quick sentiment and done!

I'm sorry if this blog post was hard to follow. It's not an easy style of card to describe. As I've said before try finding a video to watch it makes it easier to follow the construction of the actual mechanism.

I'm going to be hopping online now to try and find a template die set for next time!
Thanks for reading.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pop & Lift Card

Get well Note card