Birthday Wizard



I actually started out this card by trying to practice using my new blending tool. So I picked colours I liked and away I went. I used Ranger Distress Inks in Worn Lipstick, Seedless Preserves, Faded Jeans and Mermaid Lagoon. Once I had my coloured base down I got inspired to do a Harry Potter themed card. I wanted the card elements to be simple but I wanted to add an element of fun. Thus, the spinner/sliding card.

Once I knew what theme I wanted I went ahead and added some interest to the panel with a few white splatters. I did this by using gesso diluted in water and lightly tapping the paint brush above my card.



Next I cut out the curved groove for my card, as well as an extra curved groove out of another piece of card. I did this to help strengthen the mechanism so the front panel wouldn't bend or fray as quickly. Then I glued the extra piece to the back of the coloured panel.





 I grabbed some change (two 10c pieces) that I had floating about my handbag. I cut a two small circular pieces of foam and super-glued them together and onto the center of one coin.

I carefully placed the foam inside my groove facing upwards and then super-glued the second coin on top.




 Now the fun part. I stamped out a few stamps from the Wizards set (Sweet Stamp Shop) and coloured them in with watercolour brush pens and cut them out. I could have been neater in my cutting, but ah well they still look alright. I carefully glued the broom under the figure as I wanted it to look as if he was flying on it.

Next I glued them both to the top of a round piece of black card; and then super-glued that onto the top coin.




I stamped out my sentiment onto a small piece of white die cut paper and used Shaded Lilac Ranger Distress Ink to give the sentiment some colour. Then I sprayed it with my Sheer Shimmer Spray in Frost to add some shine. I also added three translucent star confetti over the wand stars. Should have added more, but you get the idea.

The last thing I did was to stick my card panel onto my card. To do this I used two layers of foam squares. This was to give the front panel height and to allow the coin mechanism room to slide.

I'd just like to say at this point that you will need to run the slider back and forth a few dozen time to get rid of any tension and smooth out the sides of the foam. This will make it slide on it's own as you tilt the card from side-to-side. Sometimes it twirls (what it's supposed to do) and sometime it will just slide. I think this has something to do with the weight of the coins and not having the image positioned correctly.

Sorry some of my pictures came out awful. Not sure what's going on with my camera at the moment. The shot of the card next to a Funko POP! Harry (top/first picture) is what it actually looks like colour wise.

Well that's it from me for today. I had fun making this card, and even more so playing with it afterwards!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Birthday Card

Twist Pop-up

Art Journal - Stop and smell the flowers